It was a very encouraging start for Team Ireland at the World Para Swimming Allianz European Championships as all three swimmer produced excellent performances in their events.
James Scully was the first Irish Swimmer in the Pool in the 200M Freestyle S5 heat and he set the tone for the day as he swam his best time in this event since the Rio Paralympic Games in a Season’s Best of 2:58:60.
Local swimmer, Ailbhe Kelly, was the next Irish person in the pool where she produced her best ever performance in the SM8 200m Individual Medley taking no less then 9 seconds off her previous best with a time of 3:15:97.
Ireland’s final entrant in the Heats of Day 1 was Nicole Turner in the 50m Freestyle S6 heats. Nicole delivered a solid performance as she swam 36:07 to qualify for this evening’s final.
James Scully is expected back in the pool for the first final of Dublin2018 at 6:00pm with Nicole Turner expected to compete in her final at around 6:46pm.
Tickets for the Day 1 Finals and all sessions are availavble now via www.paralympics.ie or at the Ticket Sales outlet at the venue.
The World Para Swimming Allianz European Championships are supported by Paralympics Ireland, Sport Ireland, Swim Ireland and Fáilte Ireland.
World Para Swimming: Allianz European Championships
Allianz is an Official Supporter of Paralympics Ireland and title sponsor of this year’s World Para Swimming: Allianz European Championships which are being held at the National Aquatic Centre in Abbotstown from August 13th – 19th.
- Over 400 athletes from 38 countries will compete in the biggest ever international Para event hosted in Ireland;
- Patrick Flanagan, Ellen Keane, Ailbhe Kelly, Barry McClements, Jonathan McGrath, Sean O’Riordan, James Scully and Nicole Turner will be the 8 person Irish team that are set to go for gold;
- The competition will be televised daily by TG4 and also be livestreamed on punditarena.ie and on the RTE Player;
Notes: Imagery from the Allianz Para Swimming European Championships Day 1 are available FOC from Sportsfile
- Allianz has supported people and communities since 1890 and is a long-standing advocate of elite disability sport, in Ireland and internationally;
- In 2006 Allianz SE initiated its partnership with the International Paralympic Committee (IPC);
- In 2012 Allianz Ireland became partner to Paralympics Ireland and, with objective of creating parity of esteem between able bodied and disability sport, facilitated the live broadcasting of the 2012 London Games on Setanta Sports;
- In 2016 during the Rio Paralympic Games, Allianz facilitated the broadcasting of the games on RTE
- Allianz is a sponsor of Michael McKillop, Jason Smyth and Ellen Keane, who features in their recent TV advertising campaign