Our mission is to support Irish Para-Athletes to reach finals and deliver podium places at the Paralympic Games. We will provide support and advice to NGBs in their delivery of a high performance pathway for athletes with a disability ensuring that the next generation of Irish Paralympians will be amongst the best prepared and most successful Para-Athletes competing in future Paralympic Games.
Click here to see the Full Paralympics Ireland Stategic plan Success Takes More.
OUR STRATEGIC FOCUS
Our strategy is centred around four core pillars:
- Building an Effective High Performance System
- Driving Leadership in Para Sport in Ireland
- Creating a Sustainable Paralympics Ireland Model
- Building the Profile of Paralympics in Ireland
10 Headline goals have been identified under these four pillars:
- Top 5 in the World in terms of medals per capita
- Medals in all our ‘Gold’ Sports in every Paralympic Games
- Over 40% self-generated funds by 2021 and 50% by 2025
- Portfolio of 6 top level commercial partners in place by 2021
- Leverage our charitable status to raise additional funds by 2020
- Establish brand recognition metrics for Paralympics Ireland and Irish Para-Athletes with the aim of achieving annual increases thereafter
- Memorandum of Understanding between Paralympics Ireland and every affiliated sport by 2019
- Multi Year service agreements in place to ensure appropriate athlete support services in place
- Achieve a customer satisfaction rating of 75% or over with each affiliate annually
- Leading in the provision of reliable classification expertise to all affiliated sports
WHAT WE DO
With support from Sport Ireland, the Sport Ireland Institute and our partners, Paralympics Ireland prepares Para Athletes to compete at the Paralympic Games. We work with and support, where possible, our member organisations to recruit and develop the next generation of Irish Paralympians.
We secure investment from state agencies and commercial partners to ensure that Irish Paralympic athletes train and compete at the highest level. Such support is invaluable and has played a key part in the success achieved by Irish athletes at previous Paralympic Games.
We recruit and support top-class coaches to guide Irish athletes to competitive success. From our full-time Swimming and Athletics staff through to all of our valued part-time coaches, we aim to provide the best possible coaching programmes to aspiring athletes.
— International competition
In addition to managing Irish team participation in European/World Championships in IPC governed sports, we prepare and send Irish athletes to Paralympic qualifying competitions around the world. In recent years Irish Paralympic athletes competed throughout Europe, Asia, North and South America, Africa and Australia.
— Training camps
We coordinate a series of multisport training camps in the lead up to each Paralympic Games, with the aim of pulling individual athletes and support staff into a cohesive unit.
— Sports science/medicine
A multi-disciplinary sports science and medical team provide key performance-enhancing support to Irish Paralympic athletes. This includes medicine, performance analysis, physiotherapy, massage, psychology, nutrition, physiology, strength and conditioning.In the increasingly competitive environment of elite sport, this comprehensive approach gives unparalleled support to Irish Paralympic athletes.